Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, Everybody!!!

Major apologies for being absent from the blogosphere for so long. Since my last post, Thanksgiving, Finals, and Christmas vacation have all been wreaking havoc (mostly a good havoc!) on my normal schedule. I apologize profusely, and aim to do better in the new year!

As a recap, here’s what’s been going on with me since the beginning of November (again, really sorry!).

  • Had a great Thanksgiving break (a nice long week with family and friends, and of course, good food!)
Great Mexican food with family over Thanksgiving break.
  • Studied for an entire week straight for my Biochem final (so glad to have that done and over with!) - see my post on my crazy professor for an idea of the difficulty of this class...
  • Finished my first semester of grad school with one A and one B (and 2 Passes in P/F classes)! Wooohooooo!!!!! And the B was in Biochem! I was so shocked!
  • Frantically finished making Christmas presents (literally up until Christmas Eve) - mental note to start making presents far in advance of finals week next year...
  • Just got back from an amazing 2 whole weeks with my family (I hadn’t seen my parents or brother since August!).

Mini Vacation to Florida and Clearwater Beach!

A Lesson in Biochem by Julie (@Macaroni Grill)

My very first Christmas tree! (Excluding the 2-foot-tall one I had in college.)

We visited a bakery/cafe called the Baking Grounds. Great food, awesome cookies, and cool-looking wedding cakes!


Now life can get back to normal (or at least work/school normal…). I head back into work tomorrow morning and am working the weekend to get a jump start on some research projects for next week. Then the Spring semester starts on Jan. 12th, so back to the craziness I go!

As I’m sure most everyone is right now, I’ve been working a lot on my 2015 Goals lately. I have this horrible tendency to set a ton of goals (thanks to my perfectionist side) and then completely forget about them after about a week (thanks to my procrastinator side). But this year is going to be different, and here’s why.

I’m focusing on one word for the entire year. Yes, you read that right. Only one word. Granted, I still do have goals for the year, but I narrowed them down to a chosen 5 (rather than 20…) and they each fit into 5 unique categories that I am aiming to improve on this year. Those categories are:

1. Health
2. Spiritual
3. Finances
4. Attitude
5. Home

My one word for the year is BETTER. I decided on that word after I read a quote that really stuck with me and seemed to fit best with what I was aiming to accomplish this year.


Since I have a perfectionist side, I tend to have the mentality that if I can’t do it perfectly, then it’s just not going to get done. I’m hoping that focusing on just doing “better” will help overcome this challenge and allow me to accomplish more this year. No one is perfect, but we can all aim to be a little bit better.

The other thing I’m doing this year to help my 2015 Goals stick is creating a goal pyramid for each one of my 5 goals. A goal pyramid breaks down a long-term goal into manageable monthly, weekly, and daily steps. It’s always easier to chew a big, juicy steak when it’s cut down into bite-size pieces. It’s the same way with long-term goals. Here’s an idea of what a goal pyramid should look like:



Over the next few weeks, I’ll be posting a few printables and helpful quotes and ideas to help each of us reach our goals this year. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and BETTER 2015!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment