Friday, January 9, 2015

Day 14: A Day in the Life

So I’ve kind of been stuck on this “day” of the 30 Day Challenge for a while now. I couldn’t quite figure out how to condense what I do into one single day. My daily schedule is so different based on my class and work schedule for the day, and no day is really alike. So instead of trying to sum it all up in one day, I’m just going to give you an idea of what a typical Monday looks like for me (since it’s usually one of my busier days).

A Typical Grad Student Monday:
  • Crawl out of bed around 7:15-7:30 - I am not a morning person at all, so anything before 9am is considered "super early" in my book.
  • Head to the university around 7:45-8:00 where I then fight the crowds for a parking spot. - Seriously, how hard is it to have enough parking spaces for the people that buy parking passes?!?!?
  • Biochemistry 2 Class @ 8:30 - AKA "Crazy Professor, Part 2”
  • Work in the lab from 9:30 to noon - I basically just squeeze work in whenever  I can since my class schedule is so varied.
  • Grad Student Lunch @ 12 - Most Mondays, the university hosts a guest speaker who visits with different faculty throughout the day, eats lunch with the grad students while we discuss our research with them, and then they give a presentation of their research later in the day.
  • Work in the lab from 1 to 4
  • Guest Speaker Seminar @ 4
  • Head home from work sometime between 5 and 7 - It all depends on how much work I’ve gotten done that day and whether or not I’m stuck in the middle of an experiment that can’t wait until the next day.
  • Eat dinner whenever I get home (usually leftovers or I pick something up on the way home).
  • RELAX - Watch Hulu or Netflix, check up on Pinterest and Facebook, work on a few projects here and there. Study a little biochem. Get in a workout if I have the time and energy (getting off work at 7 doesn’t leave much time for anything else at night…).
  • Freshen up the kitchen (I hate going to bed with dishes in the sink!) and pack my lunch for the next day.
  • Crawl into bed around 11-1, depending on how much studying I needed to do that night.
  • Repeat, but again, my schedule is slightly different each day.

Other things that get thrown in randomly:
  • My biochem class is M/W/F 8:30-9:20
  • My DNA transactions class is T/TH 11:40-12:30
  • I am in a grad student journal club that meets once a week, usually Wednesdays at noon.
  • My lab is in a discussion group that meets the first Tuesday afternoon of every month to discuss any problems we’re having in our research and see if anyone has any suggestions.
  • I am also in a professor-led journal club that meets every other Friday at 4.
  • My lab has our own meeting every Wednesday at 3 to discuss our current research data or a journal article related to our research.
  • I am a member of the Biology Grad Student Association, and we meet the first Friday of the month to discuss future group events.
  • I have Bible Study at my church every Wednesday night.
  • I work the occasional Saturday, based on how much I was able to get done during the week (pretty infrequent, though). Most of the time, Saturday is my catch-up day for doing stuff around my apartment since I usually don't have the time or energy during the week.
  • Church and choir practice on Sunday.
  • Write a new blog post whenever I can!

And for those who are curious as to what my lab looks like, here you go! These were taken my first week here, so I have a ton more stuff on my desk and workbench now, but you get the gist. There's also a whole lot more lab that's not pictured, but these areas are all mine!




So that’s pretty much my life right now. I love every single second of it (ok, maybe not biochem…) but it really does take up all of my time. All I have to say is at least I’m not teaching yet. Cause I really don’t know how I’d fit it all in. It’s making me tired just thinking about it!

First day of classes is Monday! I've had an entire week of just working in the lab every day (usually 10-5ish) to kind of get back into the swing of things before classes hit. It's been nice to just focus on my research, but I also enjoy my classes and am actually looking forward to all of the things I have planned for this semester. Well, wish me luck! I'll post whenever I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment