Friday, October 17, 2014

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings

Who’s ready for some warm, home cooked meals this Fall?!? And who doesn’t want to have to be the one to cook them?!? Me, Me, Me!!!

I really do love the idea of cooking. I can plan meals until the cows come home, but actually cooking those meals is another story entirely. Somewhere between leaving my lab, walking the half an hour to my car, and then driving 20 minutes through traffic, I lose the desire to do anything else for the rest of the day. Which usually includes cooking dinner. If I do cook, it’s usually only once a week and then I eat on the leftovers for the rest of the week. And I pack my lunches most days, so having leftovers to take makes that a whole lot easier.

My crockpot has become my salvation. Even if I don’t feel like cooking at the end of the day, I can still eat a nice home cooked meal if I’ve prepared ahead and put a meal in the crockpot. And I didn’t have to do any of the cooking!!! Can I get an amen?!?

This meal is one that I discovered during my senior year of college. It’s super cheap, super easy, and super delicious! It’s just plain super! We’ve also made this and taken it to a potluck before, and it was a great hit, even with the kids. I mean, who doesn’t love dumplings?

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings


  • 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (mine were still frozen when I put them in, and it still turned out great!)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1/2 diced onion (I omitted this this time, but have had it both ways and couldn’t tell a difference)
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • refrigerated biscuits (4 if using larger biscuits like grands flaky, or I used original buttermilk so I needed 6)

1. Put everything except the biscuits in the crockpot and cook on high 4-6 hours (or on low like I did for about 8).
2. Shred the chicken (if you’re a lucky duck and have a KitchenAid stand mixer, this will be easy peasy for you; the rest of us unfortunate people have to shred chicken the old fashioned way).
3. Cut each biscuit into quarters (I prefer large biscuits, so if you want them smaller, then just cut each biscuit into more pieces), roll each into a ball, and plop into the crockpot.
4. Cook for another hour (it does take a full hour if you have larger dumplings like this; I tried 45 minutes once and they were still a little undercooked) and then enjoy!

Original recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment