Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Day 4: What Am I Afraid Of?

Not much, actually. Weird, I know. It’s probably a good thing though because I work with mice in my research lab…

But in all honesty, I am afraid of a few things:

1. Snakes - Mostly because I can never tell if one is poisonous. If I knew for sure that it wouldn’t bite me and that it wasn’t poisonous, I might be less afraid of them. Regardless, I’d rather not find one slithering around my house. *Shudder*

2. Any insect, rodent, amphibian, or reptile that is larger than it should be. - AKA: Never moving to Australia (though I would love to go for a short visit). They have snakes bigger than me and spiders that are bigger than my head. I’ll pass, thank you very much.

*I'd show pictures, but it'd creep ME out! If you really want to see a giant Australian spider, google "Huntsman Spider". Terrifying!*

3. Unstable Heights - I can handle planes, tall buildings, etc, but not tiny rope bridges or anything else similar. I’d say most of this fear is related to my extreme lack of balance and coordination.

4. Cockroaches - I’ve studied biology enough to know how disease-infested those things are. Seeing one (thankfully never in my own home) makes me want to disinfect everything in sight! Also, knowing that they could survive a nuclear explosion gives me the heebie-jeebies…

5. Catastrophes - Other than just the normal “fear for your lives” complex that everyone has, I have an added reason to worry. Because my adrenal glands only function when I take the medication that tells them to, they also don’t produce the extra adrenaline that a normal person’s would in a time of emergency. I wear a medical ID bracelet and I carry a quick injectible version on me at all times, but the fear of being in a situation in which I would need the extra adrenaline and not having it is still a reality.

Bonus to #5: Because my body doesn’t produce extra adrenaline, I don’t get excited (or scared) easily. If you do manage to surprise or scare me, congratulations, it doesn’t happen often! Actually, it’s probably why this list is so short! 

No comments:

Post a Comment