Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Day 3: Dream Job (Plus My Life Story)

My dream job is doing exactly what I’m doing right now… studying biology. Now, I know I won’t be a graduate assistant working on my masters forever… I’d get bored! But my lifelong passion is science, so if my future job (or degree) involves science, then I’m right on track. :-)

Let me give you a little background info on me and why I love science so much. At the age of 8, I was told I had a growth on my pituitary gland. For anyone that doesn’t know, that’s a master gland for all of your other glands (thyroid, adrenal, mammary, etc.). It produces the hormones that tell those glands what hormones to produce and in what quantities. This is called the endocrine system (the system of glands regulated by the pituitary gland).




The growth was on the stem of my pituitary gland, so it effectively cut off the blood supply to the gland, rendering it useless. Bummer, I know. So essentially, all of my glands work great, but they aren’t getting the signal to tell them to work. That’s where my medications come in: I take medications as well as a self-administered shot daily in order to give my endocrine glands the signals they need to work properly.

All that to say, I live a normal life aside from the daily medication regimen. The experiences I have had through this situation have made me want to study biology even more, particularly the endocrine system. After 15 years of experience, I probably know more about the pituitary gland than most endocrinologists :-).

For starters, I attended Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, AZ and received a Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Science and a minor in Chemistry. I then applied to medical schools, but was rejected from all of them my first round. Bummer #2. BUT that experience taught me that I need to consider different routes to endocrinology other than the standard route of becoming a doctor. I would still love to be a doctor, but that may not be where God wants me to be right now.

So for now, I’m getting my masters in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology. Starting small, and seeing where that takes me. It could be that I go on to medical school from here, as admission rates are slotted to increase immensely in the next two years and having a masters would give my resume a big boost. Or, I could fall in love with the research aspect and continue on for a PhD. Or, I could teach biology either to high school or college students. Or, I could go work for the government in some research or fieldwork aspect. OR, I could just do all of the above (or some combination of the above)! Who knows?!? I surely don’t right now! But what I do know is that my God is in control and His Will is always perfect.

http://jesusplus.org/bible-quotes/bible-quotes-part-11/

“For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future”. - Jeremiah 29:11

And my life verse: “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness”. - Isaiah 41:10


No comments:

Post a Comment