Sunday, July 6, 2014

Welcome!





Hey ya'll! My name is Julie, I'm 23 years old, and starting in August I will be a graduate student at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC. Welcome to my blog!


Saturday marked the beginning of a new phase in my life. I'm excited, anxious, happy and sad all at the same time. It's one I've been anticipating for a few months, but it is just now starting to become a reality. It was the day my family loaded my Jeep and a Uhaul trailer with all of my earthly posessions and set out on a cross-country road trip from Phoenix, AZ to Columbia, SC.


All packed up!

Why South Carolina if you're from Arizona? Yeah, I get that question a lot. I fell in love. But not with a boy. With a part of this beautiful country of ours. I was born in Atlanta, Georgia and spent a majority of my childhood there and in Texas. My family only moved to Phoenix when I was in high school so even though I've lived here for 8 years, I still consider the South my true home. All of my extended family lives in either Georgia or Texas, and my sister is attending a college in South Carolina as well. I also fell in love with the Southern mannerisms and way of life. You gotta love guys who dress well, have good manners, treat you like a princess, and know how to be real men. Plus everyone else is just generally nice and inviting. Sweet tea and good country cooking are really just a big bonus. :-)



The center of the beautiful University of South Carolina campus.


Why graduate school? I have big dreams. Really big dreams. Ever since I was little, I've known that I wanted to be a doctor. Now, whether that entails a PhD or MD degree, or even both, I don't know yet. So I'm starting small. I will be attending the University of SC for a Masters in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology. After I've gotten my feet wet with a masters degree, I'm hoping I'll better know which doctorate degree to pursue.


What else will you be writing about? My primary passion is science, followed extremely closely by all things arts-and-crafts, DIY, organization, and home decor. This blog will be an adventure for both myself and you, my readers, as I explore living on my own for the first time, decorating my very own apartment, trying new craft projects, and all while balancing life as a grad student. This is going to be fun!


Have you ever written a blog before? Nope! A couple of message boards here and there but no blogging space to call my own. Like I said, this is going to be an adventure for both of us!


How often should we expect to see a blog post? I am going to try to post 2 to 3 times a week. This is all new for me, so I may have to adjust my blogging schedule based on my graduate workload, but I think 2 to 3 times a week is a reasonable start.


Where do you see this blog in one year? Great question! My goal with this blog is to share my passions and various interests with you and then interact with you to learn your passions as well. I don't see this blog growing as big as some of my favorite DIY blogs, but I hope to maintain a consistent readership and maybe one day see a small return on my investment here. I also have big dreams of opening my own Etsy shop one day to sell my own creations, and hope this blog will help me to be able to do that.


What are your favorite crafting and DIY blogs? So many choices... I don't think there's such a thing as following too many good blogs. My favorites, in no particular order:


Check them out! I love their decor, DIY, and blogging styles.


How can we reach you? Leave comments! Tell me your thoughts! I will do my best to respond to each and every one. I will, however, be monitoring the comments and will delete any that are offensive, contain profanities, or are spam. You can follow this blog either through your blog interface or through email (see links to the right). You can also find me on my personal Pinterest page; my username is jly616.


Enough about me, I want to hear from you! If you blog, link up and I'll come check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment