Friday, July 25, 2014

Recent Thrift Store Finds

I LOVE thrift store shopping! Goodwill is my go to hangout (I know, I have no life). But it gets me so much cool stuff! I pretty much stocked my entire apartment from hand-me-downs, yard sales, and thrift stores.

This two week vacation at my grandparents has been just pure bliss. I get to relax every day, go thrift shopping with my family, and visit with friends I haven't seen in a while, all while drinking glass after glass of my grandma's sweet tea and chowing down on her good old country cooking!

Definitely loving all of the thrift store shopping time we've been getting in. I've been to 3 different Goodwills and 3 other thrift stores within the last few days… and I've found some pretty cool stuff!


Goodwill #1:



  • Wooden paper towel holder - This is just dying for some retro colors to brighten it up!
  • Plastic storage drawer - Planning on it going under my bathroom sink for extra easy-to-access storage.
  • Retro plastic bowls - Discovered I had no cereal bowls after everything was unpacked…
  • Air bake cookie sheet - My mom won't bake cookies on anything else, so when I saw this one in great shape I knew I had to have it!

Goodwill #2:



  • Retro rolling TV cart - I have big plans for this cart! It's going to be my new coffee table and I think it would look just adorable with a chalkboard top and a brightly colored base. And you can't beat the price tag: only $7.00!!!!

Thrift Store #1: Some stores are a hit or miss as far as good stuff. Didn't find anything of interest at this store on the day we went.


Goodwill #3:



  • IKEA Bekvam spice rack - This is the second one of these I've found at a Goodwill. They're going to be painted and put up in my bathroom for extra wall storage.

Thrift Store #2:



  • Lumberjack figurine - Ok, long story short… I am collecting one figurine for each college I have attended. My alma mater is Northern Arizona University and their mascot is the lumberjack. Now I just need to find a rooster for the University of South Carolina Gamecocks. I may spray paint them all the same color, but I haven't decided yet.
  • Glass/Wood Cloche - In its former, boring life it was a cheese platter. In its new, exciting life it is going to be a decorative cloche for my bookshelf.

Thrift Store #3:



  • Metal wall shelves - My lovely (can you sense the sarcasm?) apartment shower/tub doesn't have any ledge space for my shampoo, conditioner, etc, so these are my solution.


And there you have it! Good finds at 5 of 6 stores visited. Not bad at all. If you don't find something at one store on a particular day, try it again a few days later. Donations come in daily for a lot of thrift stores, so if you wait around long enough there's bound to be something new on the shelves. Back in Phoenix, I had a regular rotation of 4 different Goodwills in the area. Every other Saturday was 50% off everything in the store, so I usually made a day of it and circled through one right after the other and came home with a few bags full of stuff.

My favorite items to look for are: solid furniture in ok shape (nothing I can't easily fix with a little sanding, wood filler, primer, and paint), glasswares, decorative knick-knacks, office supplies, and picture frames. Stick with wood, glass, paper, and plastic and you can transform just about anything from Goodwill into something you will use and love.

What are your most recent thrift store finds? Any exciting DIY plans in the works? Comment below and tell me all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment