Monday, July 28, 2014

20 "I'm Bored" Ideas (Not Just For Kids!)

I've seen this topic bouncing around the blogosphere for a while now. It's usually found on blogs about family life and pertains to how they keep their kids preoccupied in the summer. Well, this topic doesn't just apply to kids. Or summer.

I don't know about you, but I can get lost on the internet. Especially when it's hot (or cold) outside and I really don't want to do anything… And although spending hours on Pinterest and reading other blogs is great for cultivating blog ideas for this blog, it's not that great for getting anything else done that day.

So, I present to you my list of 20 "I'm Bored" Ideas. Or 20 "Get Off Pinterest and Do Something Productive" Ideas. Whatever floats your boat.

Bonus: Most of these can be done by yourself and with little to no cost (cheap ME time!)


1. Time yourself while you tidy up one room/space and try to beat the clock.

Anyone else remember the kids show "The Big Comfy Couch"? Believe it or not, I actually watched this show religiously as a child… In case you needed a reminder, here's a quick clip of her "Ten Second Tidy":



Don't we all wish we could clean that fast and/or that stuffing things under the couch cushions was an acceptable way to clean? Yeah, me too. But we can all tidy up a room in less than 15 minutes, and it makes any room look 10 times better.

2. Go for a quick walk around your block.

Walking is a great, easy form of exercise that anyone can do. Plus, walking just 30 minutes a day is a great way to fit in your recommended amount of daily activity. So get up off the couch and get walking!

3. Read one chapter of a good book.

I have so many books that I "don't have time to read". But I really do, I just don't make the time for it. Reading only one chapter at a time is a great way to keep active in reading without spending a whole day with your nose in a book (although those days are glorious).

4. Try one new recipe and/or food.

If you have to go on your Pinterest "Food" board to find the recipe, then so be it. I love to plan new recipes into my weekly meal plan, but I rarely try the new breakfast recipes or snack ideas I've pinned. If you're like me, then here's your chance to try them!

5. Go bowling.



I love bowling. It's not so much fun by yourself, but I love to go in a big group. Maybe you can coordinate a "girls/guys/couples night out" with a group of your friends? Count me in if you do!

6. Call a friend you haven't spoken to in a while.

Life gets busy for all of us. But we all have time in our busy lives to call a friend and talk for a few minutes. You can even browse Pinterest while you talk… Multitasking, people, multitasking.

7. Go for a bike ride.

Nowadays, unless you are 7, you probably only ride a bike as part of your commute, if at all. Relive your childhood and go for a long ride. Enjoy the scenery. Just wear a helmet while you do. Yes, mother…

8. Pop in a favorite CD or playlist on your iPod and clean/cook/dance along.

Any household chore is made 100 times better by adding great background music to it. You might actually have fun!

9. Bake cookies for someone who needs a smile.



You get to try out a new Pinterest cookie recipe and someone else gets to benefit from your generosity: it's a win-win!

10. Volunteer at the animal shelter.

Most will let you come in and help out with walking, feeding, and play time after only a few hours of training. Check with your local animal shelter to see about their volunteer policy. This is a great solution for those of us that can't have a pet because of our rental agreement.

11. Visit a new hotspot in town.

Having just moved to a new town in which I know no one, I have a feeling I am going to be using this one a lot. Get out and meet new people! See the sights in your own hometown! Check out local antique shops, hole-in-the-wall restaurants with long lines, local parks and attractions, fairs and community events, farmers markets, etc. You never know what you'll find right outside your front door.

12. Take a long nap.

You know you want to, so why don't you? A quick power nap is all I need sometimes to kickstart the rest of my day. Too bad there's not a rollover plan for all the naps we passed up as kids…

13. Declutter your closet/desk/entry/whatever.

My desk is my big sore spot when it comes to keeping things organized. I always end up with piles of paper and junk everywhere, leaving me no space to actually work. Get rid of stuff you don't use/need. Move items back to their correct location. Find new ways to keep things organized so it stays looking nice and neat. I'm really preaching to myself here...

14. Actually try one of those new workouts you pinned.

New workout ideas have to be the least likely pins to make it into the "I did it" board. So many people pin them, but I doubt they actually do all of them. I know I don't. Here's your chance to try one! You can even combine it with #8 to make it even more fun!

15. Wash your car by hand.



I seriously cannot remember the last time I washed a car by hand. I was probably 10 and getting paid to do it… I always did like the shine of a freshly hand-washed car and if I'm the one doing the washing, I know it'll be done right! Go show your car some soapy sponge lovin'!

16. Make your own wall art.

I have made quite a few wall art pieces for my apartment. It is so much fun to play around with paint, paper, glue, or whatever else suits your fancy. All you need is a plain sheet of paper, canvas, or poster board and you can create fun, unique pieces for pennies on the dollar.

17. Take a long, relaxing bubble bath.

Even better if combined with #s 3 and 8.

18. Paint your nails.

I love having painted nails, but I rarely take the time to paint them myself. Rather than forking over $40 for someone else to paint your nails, go dig out the dozens of nail polishes you own and go to town! Make it a girls night for even more fun!

19. Pack a picnic lunch and eat at your local park or even on your back porch.

I absolutely loved picnics as a kid. Well, I'm about to bring the picnic lunch back into style one park bench at a time. Even better if you can walk to your local park to get in some exercise! Bonus: People watching is seriously entertaining.

20. Start a garden.

Even an apartment balcony can be space enough to plant a container garden. If you don't have a black thumb like me, then go wild and plant a bunch of different flowers and plants, maybe even grow your own vegetables. However, if you are one of the cursed like myself, stick with low-light plants that thrive with little to no watering.


This list even inspired me to get up and do something! Now I want to make one of those cute "I'm Bored" containers…




What do you like to do when you're bored? Send some more ideas my way!


No comments:

Post a Comment